Thursday, June 28, 2012

Love is a Verb



"Kindness is the language which the deaf hear
 and the blind see." ~ Mark Twain


Recently I read the book,
 The Seventeen Second Miracle by Jason Wright.
In his book he coins the phrase,
"Love is a Verb".
How true.
Too often, the word "love" is overused and,
 as a result, appears as a masquerading imposter;
a charlatan word to smoke screen emotions.
But to act on Love.
To vigorously influence an effect.
 Yes, to execute, exert and commit oneself  is....
Powerful.
Fortunately, I have several people in my life
who know how to set love in motion.
Words. Deeds. Gestures.


We tend to go through life without cognitively recognizing the positive actions of others.
Media, in all its forms, helps us concentrate on all the violent, unruly, maniacal behaviors of others,
But what about Kindness?
Are there any Generous, Considerate, Warmhearted people?
As an experiment, I've started a Kindness Journal.
In it I'm writing one kind thing someone does for me each day.
After only a few entries, when I reread them,
 I experience a warm feeling for others:
The extension of a hand; a door held open;
 an unexpected Thank You; the swipe of a stranger's train pass.
 A smile finds itself on my face and in my heart.
And, in turn, I find myself amiable towards others.
It is amazing how, to use Wright's idea,
 it only takes 17 seconds to change your course.
To change your life.


But let's not stop there.
We can change our own little spot in the world
 one second at a time.
Try it.
Conciously and actively, for the pure joy of it:
Become a human doing instead of a human being.

"Be Kind to Unkind People.
They need it the most." ~ Anonymous


~ Please feel free to go to
to leave your comments ~

No comments :

Post a Comment