Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy Birthday Chickadee

Anyone born on New Year's Eve must know what it's like to combine the past and the future.
Not only do you share your birthday celebration with everyone using the Gregorian calendar, but also your special day signifies the end of another year; with hopes for a bright tomorrow.
Endings and Beginnings.
Laying down the Past and looking towards an unknown Future.
For me, 33 years ago, that happened to me.
Until then, my life was uncharted, unsure.


But on the 31st of December, my oldest daughter was born.
She changed my life.
Once I did the rudimentary 10 fingers/toes check and took a deep breath, it was down to business for me.
I was determined to be the best Mom out there.
I had so much love to give and couldn't wait to share it.
By the next day, January 1st,
I knew just which direction I was going in.
And what a beautiful journey it has been.


Of course I can't take full credit for the
wonderful woman she is today.
I think her Dad was just as excited about being a parent as I was.
She'll always be his little girl.


Now I could go on and on about all Melanie's attributes :
Caring, Conscientious and Considerate.
Meticulous, Kind and Helpful (to name a few).
But, I am a tad bit biased.


Anyone who knows Melanie, however, will agree with me that she is
Sensitive and Compassionate to others needs.
Most times before her own. 


And silly? Yes, she can be silly.


But there probably isn't a sister alive who cares as much about her siblings as she does.
In fact, she's almost like a second Mother.
Protective and Vigilant.


What you may not know is that she is rather dainty.
Yea, she plays Volleyball, Spins, Runs and Mountain Bikes, but not in an all-out-there-knock-'em-dead way.
It's one thing to be competitive. It's another to sacrifice your body.
When she played basketball, she would rather beat her opponent with graceful agility than block with a sweaty box out.
Ahhhh...she knows how to put a touch elegance into everything.


I am so happy she has found the love of her life.
She is happy and it shows.


In fact, her optimistic view about EVERYTHING is contagious.
It's intoxicating just to be around her.


The word I think of when I think of Melanie is:
Bubbly.


Yes, I am so fortunate to have such an inspiring daughter.


My daughter.
My friend.

She got stuck with me, but I learned from her.
Happy Birthday MelBel
I Love You

No comments :

Post a Comment